Monday, August 07, 2006

Day 2--Dublin

We assumed that things on Sunday would be closed, and that Dublin was our only chance of anything being open. We were right. We woke up and had a delicious Irish Breakfast. We then headed back upstairs to sleep. We finally decided that we really should do something other than sleep on our vacation so we headed back down to Dublin to see the sights. I really wanted to see the Book of Kells, which I thought resided in Trinity College s library. Well, it does and it doesn't. Trinity College has a lovely exhibit on the book, and pieces of it, but the original is still in the monastery of Kells. The exhibit closed at 4, and we got there at 3:30. I really wanted to see it though so we agreed to spend the 10 Euro each, even if we only saw it for a minute. The clerk told the lady in front of us that she only had 30 minutes, and then proceeded to close the register. Devin and I stood there, looking a little confused while some other employees came up and did things. A managerial looking lady told us that it now closed in 25 minutes and to get going if we wanted to see it. I told her we didn't have tickets, and she told us to just go ahead, so we got in free!! The exhibit was cool, and there were some other very old books. They didn't allow photography though. Then we tried to go shopping but everything was closed. This is what a mall that is closed in Dublin looks like. Dublin is very crowed and much like Barcelona . I liked it, but it was not what I wanted to see when I thought of Ireland . So, we went to St. Stephen's Green, which is a HUGE park. It was lovely with wild sections and manicured sections. After that we got back on the bus and headed to our B&B. There was a nice pub up the road, the Comet Pub, which we planned on eating in. Well, they didn't serve foodI swear the only pub in Ireland that didnt, so we had traditional Irish takeout at Pete's across the street. It was awful. I threw mine away and felt like I never wanted to eat in Ireland again. I ordered a chicken kebob sandwich. I then proceeded to watch them deep fry a chicken piece, cut it up, grill it, then put it in a pita that had been drench in garlic mayonnaise and red something and topped with cabbage and more mayo and red stuff. It was literally dripping with Mayo and grease and I really couldn't eat it. The chips were good though :) We went to the Comet and drank our calories instead We went to the Comet and drank our calories instead :) We also bought these strange grape like fruit things. We have no idea what they are but they taste awful and have little prickly things all over them. (since our return I have learned that they are gooseberries, which really ought to be cooked with a LOT of sugar, who knew?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home