Monday, August 07, 2006

Day 6--Inside the Beara

The next morning we awoke to HEAVY fog. I couldnt believe that the one day I wanted it clear out of the whole trip, it was foggy. We decided over a lovely breakfast that we would go over the Healy Pass anyway, and that maybe on the other side it would be clear. Since the fog was so dense we couldnt see anything. We assumed that we were on a mountain with a cliff on one side. We drove really slow and carefully. Luckily the sheep stayed on the mountain and there was little traffic. Towards the top of the pass there was a shrine so we stopped so that I could take pics and Devin could go for a hike. The fog was so dense we couldnt see more than 10 feet ahead of us, and down was just a white mess. There was also a clear line of fog, and not fog, it was not a gradual decrease. The fog also left some really pretty ice and water crystal on the flora though; I think it looks like Christmas decorations. The other side of the pass was a lot clearer, and we took some pictures on the way down. We then drove all over the Beara. We wanted to go to this park (I cannot remember the name) because it looked really cool in the brochure. Well, it was on private property and when we got there it was lame, so we decided not to stay. We then got yelled at by the owner because we drove there knowing it was private and now we just want to leave. We thought it sucked, it had nothing to do with an admission charge, which everything in Ireland has, it was just lame. He was so angry, and I am honestly sure he had no reason since we all we did was drive there and turn around. Ass. Anyway, I get all upset just thinking about it. We drove around looking for some stone circles, but by now we were a little concerned about getting yelled at if they were on private property, which most of them are, so we ended up just driving around and going to lunch at this place with a great view. We then drove around the coast for a while. It was very pretty. We went to the beach and collected some shells, some of them still with things in them we later learned. This was a hedge at the beach, it was really pretty, this is how must of the country is though. We then headed back over the pass since the fog was clearing. The other side was not a cliff at all, that was funny to learn. It was really pretty though. We then did some shopping for people in Glengarriff, as there is nothing the Castletownbere, and ate some dinner. It was still light, so we drove back to Castletownbere and explored the coast that we had not been to yet. We also saw a sign for a rock circle, so we went up there and low and behold it was on public land. It was very neat, I am really happy that we saw one before we left. We needed some money so we stopped at an ATM and I jumped out, my camera however was wrapped around my leg and it smashed to the ground, breaking my wonderful lense. I wanted to cry. So, for the rest of the trip I had a super zoom lense and a little digital, and that was when I needed my camera the most. I was so sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home