Monday, August 07, 2006

And on to Cork (through Cahir)

After the Rock we went to Caher, just done the road. This is another lovely little town with a well preserved castle. This castle is actually being restored, so you can walk on the walls and such. I was nice, but I was miserable. It was so hot I could barely breathe. Caher also has a REALLY nice library, that houses a lot of very old book. We saw the smallest book in the world and the first copy of The Prince in English. It is hard to see in the picture. We then ate at a little caf, and while we were waiting for a table we saw a truck catch on FIRE. Not a pickup truck, a semi truck, and the bed was on fire. The drivers were out there trying to put it out, this is just on the narrow little road, random truck on fire, it was very odd. But, overall, Caher was a nice place. After lunch we headed down to Cork . This was the one place that I didnt have detailed directions from the Bed and Breakfast. That should have been a sign. Finally I found the address on the map and Devin managed somehow to get us there. This city is in the middle of two large rivers, and is full of one way streets, it is nearly impossible to get to where you are going. We arrived at the B&B and it was horrid. Never stay at the Redclyffe in Cork . It was somewhere between a really old dorm and a motel 6. I had dreadful red carpet and the walls were pilling. It was just awful. The help was also not very friendly. I am not sure how they get away with calling it a B&B, since no one would live there, but whatever. It was dreadful. We went out to eat dinner, another dreadful experience. I didnt like Cork at all. People call it the shopping capital of Ireland , and there were a lot of designer clothes, but that is all, nothing I was really interested in. It was pretty bad. I would recommend just skipping Cork all together, and heading out to one of the smaller towns.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home